In honor of R.P. Simmons, chair of the Pittsburgh Symphony Board of Trustees, a new daylily, the Simmons Overture, was cultivated and is now ready for sale. The stunning lavender, gold and black flower should produce more than 300 flowers after three years. A portion of the proceeds from all sales of the Simmons Overture are donated to the Pittsburgh Symphony.
You can find the four-inch starter pots at local garden centers, including:
- Bakerstown Feed & Garden, Bakerstown, Pa.
- Bedner’s Farm & Greenhouse, Cecil, Pa.
- Brenckles Farm & Greenhouse, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Dailey’s Greenhouse, Gibsonia, Pa.
- Janoski’s Farm & Greenhouse, Clinton, Pa.
- Kraynak’s Garden Center, Hermitage, Pa.
- 380 Auction Discount Warehouse & Garden, Murrysville, Pa.
A Simmons Overture Lily order form is available to order plants directly from Ball Horticulture Company. This form also includes information about growing conditions for the flower.